Thursday, March 3, 2016

Flash Fiction Friday, Week 27: BFFs

This week, the prompt was to write a story that features at least one monster. My story is about two very close friends who, over lunch, discuss collaborating on a particular project. Let’s see how that works out for them.

BFFs

“Leon, over here. Have a seat. I picked this booth in the back so we’d be able to talk. This diner gets so noisy at lunchtime.”

“I know, Frankie. Like I told you on the phone, I’m still on set for my latest film so I’ve only got an hour.”

“Not to worry. I already ordered for both of us. I got you the special – you know, that sandwich you like, the one with the spicy mayo on it.”

“Great. That’s my favorite. So, what’s this big idea you have?”

“The most incredible thing happened. I ran into this screenwriter in the market the other day and he told me he’s written a screenplay for a film that would be perfect for you and me.”

“You and me? In the same movie? Like, together?”

“Yes. Isn’t that a wild idea? I mean, you and I have been best friends since we were kids, but we have never appeared in the same movie.”

“What’s the storyline, Frankie?”

“Leon, it’s perfect. There’s a gang that’s causing problems in a little town off the East coast, and together, you and I save the town and its people from this band of roving monsters.”

“That sounds neat. There’s tons of small towns along the coast that are close enough to big cities, so we could work some big-city action into the film here and there.”

 “That’s true, but the story doesn’t really have anything in it that would take us into a city.”

“Maybe not, but you know what a great screen presence I am when it comes to scenes in the downtown area of any city. With lots of tall buildings and busy streets, I truly shine. We could make some adjustments and write some other scenes in.”

“Actually, I was thinking we could film it without any rewrites. I also am in my element in the big city setting, but for once, I would prefer to be the dominant presence in the scene, not playing second fiddle to a building. That’s why I like the small town idea. There would be little shops, small homes on hillsides, and me – standing tall and strong above everything.”

“Oh, and I suppose I don’t stand tall and strong when I’m at the top of a 40 story high-rise in one of my famous close-ups.”

“There aren’t going to be any of your famous close-ups in this one, Leon. Remember, in this movie, we would be working as a team. If there are going to be any close-ups at all, I think the film should end with one – of me. Imagine if you will, me walking along the beach, my tail sweeping dramatically through the sand, as I stroll off into the sunset as the picture fades and the credits roll. You will already have left the area because after we’ve defeated the monsters, we go our separate ways.”

“Why would I have already left the area? Where did I go? Why should the last scene be of you alone? What happened to you and me as a team?”

“The team part, Leon, is us working with each other to save the town. But, that will be done. You like the big cities so much, that’s where you’ll go at the end. The camera will show you walking past the town toward the tall buildings in the distance. Since I prefer the ocean to dry land, the last scene should be me on the beach contemplating returning to the sea.”

“Contemplating? Now you’re contemplating? Leon just wanders off toward big buildings, but Frankie’s contemplating? So, the movie is all about us and we and a team and all that, but in the end, it’s all about you contemplating?”

“Don’t you think you’re being a bit childish about all this? After all, my emerging from the ocean and my return to the same has always been a grand moment. I still don’t know how we’re going to work out your entrance. I certainly don’t want to incorporate a circus scene.”

“Circus scene? Really? You don’t want. Since when is this your movie? Your tail sweeping through the sand. What a crock! How has that ever been a grand moment? You don’t even drip as you stumble through the scenes. How is that possible when you’ve emerged from the ocean? Huh? How come you don’t drip? You’re such a phony.”

“I’m a phony? I don’t’ have to drip because the camera shows me coming up out of the ocean, and that is so a grand moment. And I do not stumble through scenes. What about you bending the bars on a big cage and stepping out? Where’s the drama in that? The bars look like they’re made out of painted cardboard. Talk about a phony.”

“Those bars are real metal and I do bend them and you know it. The audience knows it too, which is why women swoon when I escape from those cages. No chicks pass out when you emerge from the ocean.”

“No? Once I start roaring, they do. I’ve seen it happen all the time at premiers. At least, I roar. All you do is beat your chest. That doesn’t frighten anybody.”

“I suppose when you open your big mouth and that fake fire shoots out, that does frighten people?”

“You’re nothing but a big fat chimp anyway.”

“A big fat what? I happen to be a supersized gorilla, who is able to easily scale tall buildings. All you are is a chubby and slimy lizard.”

“Slimy? I’ve never been sli…how dare you call me chubby. You know I’m at the gym three times a week. Besides, I’m a dinosaur, not a lizard.”

“Big whoop. Some dinosaur. Love your short arms. Do any climbing lately?”

“Big whoop indeed. So you can climb up a building and perch there, like some overgrown parakeet. I don’t climb and perch – I destroy tall buildings, short arms and all.”

“Well, tough stuff, let’s get down to the important stuff. Never forget I’m a headliner and they call me King Kong. Top that.”

“I can, oh mighty king whoever. I’m a headliner too, but I have only one name and that means I’m cooler than you. Don’t you ever forget they call me Godzilla. Get it? One name is cooler than two. You know, like Madonna or Sting.”

“You’re so cool, huh? At least when I headline, I’m always the only star, but you’re not. In so many of your movies, you share billing with that three-headed thing or the creepy worm that the little girls sing for.”

“Mothra is not a creepy worm. She only crawls when she’s in the larvae stage. Don’t you know anything? Plus, even when we share the screen, it’s my name that’s listed first on the bill. So there.”

“Baby.”

“Leon, I’m thinking that maybe us making a movie together might not be such a great idea after all.”

“Frankie, I think you’re right. We should probably just keep things as they’ve always been.”

“Yeah. You climb buildings and I’ll knock ‘em down.”

“Now, that’s a great idea. Oh, look at the time. I’ve got to get back to the set. We still on for checkers Friday night?”

“You betcha. I found some great scoopy type chips I think you’ll like.”

“Terrific. I found a new dip recipe that’ll be perfect with those. Thanks for lunch, Frankie.”

“You bet, Leon. Any time, my friend.”




2 comments:

  1. Lots of great lines in this - I almost wish they would make the movie just so I could watch it. Love the idea of two old friends having a spat, then agreeing to meet up for a friendly game.

    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks much, Rose. The more I got into writing this, the more I wished they were real and that the movie would go ahead. I would look forward to seeing them team up in a film. These two are real professionals though; they know how to keep personal and professional separate. Can't let a film come between BFFs!

      Delete