Friday, May 24, 2019

Flash Fiction Friday, Week 21 - Time for a Change


The prompt this week was to write a story about the first Spring trip up to the cottage with friends and family. The family in my story get together once a year at Grandma’s cabin and it never goes well. This year though, things will be a bit different, and hopefully, that will be a good thing.

Time for a Change

Here we go again. Our yearly family get-together at Grandmother Maude’s cabin by the lake. Our numbers are dwindling, but we are still all duty-bound. We will be only six this year, and such a delightful crowd we are. Uncle Anthony and Aunt Josie, Uncle Edmond and Aunt Gertie, Grandmother Maude and me. Oh, and Rosa. Can’t forget Rosa. Grandmother Maude’s chief cook and bottlewasher. Rosa’s been with Grandmother Maude’s for around 100 years, I think, and knows her every thought. Good thing too, since the grand old dame never says a word. She just points and Rosa obeys.

I often wonder what kind of a paycheck Rosa gets every week. It’s got to be plenty, right? I mean, to have to put up with the old lady’s icy manner, it would have to be. I also wonder if Grandmother Maude’s that way all the time or just at the cabin with her motley crew of a family. I wonder lots of things, but since I never see any of what’s left of my family outside of this once-a-year charm fest, I suppose I’ll never get past the wondering part.

I decided to drive up this year so I’d have more time to figure out how to spring my news on the family. The easiest thing to do would be to go up as usual, listen to all their nonsense for a couple of days, and go home. As soon as we are all settled in, it begins. Aunt Josie starts her routine of complaining to Uncle Anthony about his job. If he ever wants to amount to anything, he’ll ask that bastard of a boss for a raise. My God, Josie, the man should have retired years ago. I think he just keeps going to work to get away from her. I would. He, of course, just smiles and nods.

Then, we have Aunt Gertie, who’s a living tribute to Botox. Her monologue is all about how Uncle Edmond never takes her out anymore so she can show herself off. The woman looks more factory-made than a mannequin. I wouldn’t want to be seen in public with her either. Now, Uncle Edmond, he’s not a smile-and-nodder. He just shakes his head and smokes his pipe. These heartwarming bonding moments are what I have to look forward to for the next two days. Jealous yet? I know. I wouldn’t be either.

I know what you’re thinking. Why go up there at all? Well, I do it for Mom. She and her two sisters were raised by the ice queen and the four of them were never close. Her dad died when she, Josie and Gertie were toddlers. Mom never gave up hope they could be a real family, and she and I attended any family gathering to which we were summoned. She made me promise I’d keep trying after she was gone. She died two years ago, and I kept my promise. Nothing ever changes though, and knowing my family the way I do, after this weekend, it’s guaranteed nothing ever will.

Okay. I see the cabin, and all the cars. Everyone’s here already. Good deal. I won’t have to wait to share my news, although they’ll know the second I walk in.

You can do this, Charlene. Just open the door and go in like always. Well, not like always…

“Hello, Aunt Josie, Aunt Gertie, Uncle Anthony, Uncle Edm…”

“What kind of a joke is this, Charlie?” Aunt Josie looked like she was going to faint.

“Charlie, why are you in a dress? Oh my God!” Aunt Gertie fell to her knees.

Uncle Anthony and Uncle Edmond just laughed. God, I love those two.

“I know this is a shock, but I’m not Charlie anymore. I’m Charlene. Mom always knew, and she helped me save for the surgery. I’m just sorry I couldn’t have it done until after she passed. But I’m here now, please try to understand. My being a boy was never right for me. This is who I really am.”

“This is all nonsense.” I’ve never heard Aunt Josie yell. “Mother, tell HIM this is all nonsense. We don’t go in for that sort of thing.”

“Rosa, call an ambulance. Charlie’s lost his mind. Mother, tell him to stop acting this way. We can’t have this go on in our family.” Gertie stayed on her knees.

“Both of you, shut up!” Grandmother Maude said something? Are we in the Twilight Zone?

“Mother, what did…” Is Aunt Josie crying?

“So, besides being a pain in the ass, you’re deaf too? I said, shut up. Come over here, Charlene. I want to get a good look at you. Love the green hair. I remember it was orange last year, and last year, you were Charlie, right?”

“Yes, Grandmother Maude. Last year, I was Charlie. Now, I’m Charlene.”

“You happy now?”

“Yes.”

“Good. Rosa, get supper going. I’m hungry. Josie, being yourself is not nonsense. Gertie, get up off the floor. This child doesn’t need an ambulance, but you look like you could use one. Josie and Gertie, get out my good China and set the table. I need to talk to my granddaughter. She’s the only one of you that’s ever been worth more than a hill of beans.”

“But Mother, don’t you understand what’s happening?” Aunt Gertie’s face was starting to crack. “Edmond, do something!”

Uncle Edmond, along with Uncle Anthony, kept laughing. God, I love those two.

“I’m leaving. There’s no way I’m going to…” Aunt Josie grabbed her handbag from the chair.

“Josie, put that bag down and help your sister set the table. Charlene, how do you think I’d look with purple hair?”

“You’d look great, Grandmother Maude.”

“Call me Gram, okay? Isn’t that how you young folks talk these days?”

We’re going to be a real family now, Mom. Promise.

1 comment:

  1. That's cute - way to shake things up Charlene! The family will never be the same, which is probably a good thing. Maybe Grandma is a bit of a rebel too when the family are not all around. I suspect for starters Rosa is more than just hired help.

    ReplyDelete