Friday, January 4, 2019

Flash Fiction Friday, Week 1 - Murder at Midnight


The prompt this week was to pick a random song and write a story based on the title. The song that came up from my playlist was Murder at Midnight by Powerwolf, a German power metal band, who write about werewolves, vampires and various other night creatures. I also like classical piano. I hope you enjoy.

Murder at Midnight

“Murder at midnight
The enemy on the way
Murder at midnight
Will he return with the day?”


“I still can’t believe this is really happening. I’ve never won anything in my whole life, even though I enter every contest that comes in the mail.”

“Forget all those crazy cereal box prizes, Bel. Snagging a free weekend in a fully-furnished cabin on a lake, now, that’s the ultimate prize. And that’s not all. The brochure says we’ll be within walking distance of a little town that’s not even on any map. Talk about getting away from it all.”

“Rog, don’t forget, this weekend is their Founders Day Celebration too. This whole thing is like something right out of a romance novel. With all the pressure you’ve been under with the new agency, and me having to grade all those history finals, this is just what we both need. By the time this weekend is over, we’ll head back to the city ready to take on whatever comes our way.”

“Bel, who is it that we’re supposed to ask for; I mean, who do we get the house keys from?”

“We’re supposed to go to the General Store and ask for Daryl. Can you believe it? This town actually has a general store. I don’t know about you, but I’m beginning to hear Twilight Zone music in the background.”

“It is wild, isn’t it? Like going back in time. But it’s nice to know places like that still exist. Oh, listen, did you remember what contest this was? Did you run across it in one of those magazines you read at the beauty shop?”

“I still can’t place it, Rog. You’d think I’d remember something this big. I must have just filled out a form and mailed it in without really paying too much attention. Naturally, considering my track record, I never thought I’d come close to winning. Oh look, hon, there’s a sign welcoming us to Barrington. That’s the last name of the family that founded the town. Apparently, descendants of the founders still live here. When I spoke with Daryl on the phone the other day, he said they live in a huge house up on a hill that overlooks the town.”

“I’m really glad we’re almost there, Bel. Once we turned off the highway, this two-lane stretch seems to go on forever. It’s beautiful country though, with trees lining both sides of the road. But we’ve been on this road for close to two hours. Check your phone. I wonder if we’ll get any reception at all.”

“We’re down to one bar, Rog. I’m sure they have landlines at the cabin or in town, or maybe even a short-wave radio. Wouldn’t that be fun?”

“Let’s just find the General Store and this Daryl fella. I need to get out and walk around a bit. I’m getting stiff from this long drive. Once we get to the cabin though, let’s just walk to town and all around since everything’s so close. No more driving for a while, okay?”

“Sounds good to me, hon. Here we are. Wow. Just look at all these little shops. A little motel on the left, stop signs, but no traffic lights, folks strolling on the sidewalks, and there’s the General Store. Hurry up and pull over. I can’t wait to get situated. Happy Ending Twilight Zone, here we come.”

***

“A car just pulled up, ole gal. Must be those folks that’s gonna stay in the cabin.”

“Belinda and Roger they’re called, sugar plum. They sure are a nice-looking young couple. They looked young in those pictures on that social site. You can’t always tell though. Some folks put up fake pictures. Belinda and Roger didn’t put up no fake pictures. They really are as young as they seemed. That’s a good thing, isn’t it? That’s a real good thing.”

“It is, ole gal. That what we told Mr. Nathaniel and he was pleased. We did good. The whole family will be pleased.”

***

“Morning, folks. You must be the ones what won our Founders Day contest. Mr. and Mrs. Harper, wasn’t it? My name is Daryl and this is my wife Sarah. We own this store and the little whatever shop next door. Welcome to Barrington. Sarah will take you over to the cabin so you can get settled and take a rest if you like. You two have a big night ahead of you.”

“We’re so pleased to meet you. Please call me Roger, and my wife’s name is Belinda, but everyone calls her Bel. We’re very excited to be here and we’re looking forward to your Founders Day activities.”

“Activities? Oh, well, there’s aren’t really any activities to speak of, son. Did you see that big house on the hill when you drove into town? That’s where the Barringtons live. They go way back, and they’re the ones who started this town up. You’re invited up there tonight for dinner with the family. That’s how they congratulate the winners of the contest. Here’s your invitation.”

“Look, Rog, it’s one of those murder mystery dinner parties. Dinner is served at 9pm and then underneath it says ‘Murder at Midnight’. I’ve always wanted to go to one of those. You said we’ll be having dinner with just the founding family? What an honor. How do they set that up? Will the other guests arrive just before midnight so they can stage the murder?”

“I’m not certain how that works, Mrs. Bel. Daryl and I haven’t been to one of those. But I’m sure you’ll have a real good time. It’s real fancy up there. They use good china and crystal, I’ve heard. Come with me now. Get your bags and I’ll take you over to the cabin. You can leave your car here. You won’t need to drive to the big house either. It’s just a short walk up the hill.”

“Thanks so much, Miss Sarah. Bel and I really appreciate your hospitality. Let’s go check out this cabin, honey. Since tonight’s going to be a late one, I really could use a nap after that long drive.”

“Good idea, Rog. Nice to meet you, Daryl.”

“Nice to meet you too, Mrs. Bel.”

“Rog and I will come by in the morning and tell you all about their murder mystery party.”

“God willing, ma’am. God willing.”

***

“What a bizarre experience that was, Bel. Daryl and his wife are, shall we say, quirky?”

“Rog, you know how these small-town people can be. Don’t you think it was peculiar though that they’ve never been to one of those parties? I wonder why.”

“It’s all part of winning their Founders Day contest, Bel. I’m sure they’ve had the townspeople up to dinner before – just not at one of their murder mystery dinners. Let’s just relax for a while. We’ve got plenty of time before we have to get dressed up for dinner. You know, the fridge is full. Let’s make a nice lunch and then take a nap. We’ll have time to take a quick walk around the lake and then head up the hill for the dinner party.”

“Sounds perfect, hon. Let me at that fridge. I wonder what goodies they’ve stocked for us.”

***

“This has been a real treat for us, Nathaniel. Are you sure neither of you will join us for anything? Dessert at least? Here Bel and I are stuffing ourselves at your table and you haven’t touched a thing.”

“As I told you, my brother and I plan to dine at a later time. Please, help yourselves to whatever you would like.”

“I have to say, you and your brother have really put out the red carpet for Bel and I with this dinner.”

“Why would you say a thing like that? Red carpet? Why red?”

“Bartholomew, calm down. It’s just an expression. You will please forgive my brother. He’s led rather a sheltered existence – private schools, you see, and he takes every statement quite literally. Would you like more dessert or more wine perhaps?”

“No, thank you. Both of you have been the most gracious hosts, but I’m afraid if I eat another bite or take another sip, I won’t be able to ever get back on my feet.”

“That would be fine if you couldn’t. When midnight comes, you’ll…”

“Bartholomew! I’m sorry Belinda, Roger. My brother so looks forward to our annual celebration that he gets a bit over anxious. Bartholomew, go and get Dominic and Seraphina. They are cousins who reside here with us and will be joining us for the murder at midnight event.”

“I’m really excited about this. I’ve never been to a murder mystery dinner before.”

“Excuse me, Miss Belinda? A murder what?”

“Murder mystery dinner, Nathaniel. It’s going to be so fun examining the clues and trying to figure out who the murderer is. Is one of your cousins going to be the victim?”

“I’m sorry, but I have no idea to what you are referring. There is no mystery about it and there will be no clues to follow. Dominic and Seraphina, gather round our guests. It is almost midnight. Bartholomew, what is Miss Belinda talking about? What did you put on the invitation? Something about a mystery?”

“No, Nathaniel. I put on the invitation what I put every year. I say that dinner will be at 9pm and then there will be murder at midnight. That’s all.”

“I don’t understand the confusion. Is this a murder mystery dinner or not?”

“It is not any kind of a mystery, Roger. You and your wife were selected to come here this evening to help us celebrate our founding of this town. We eat out all the time, but on this one day a year, the four of us prefer to dine quietly at home. You see, Roger, you and your lovely wife Belinda, will be our main course. You've eaten well and had plenty of wine. Your blood will be smooth and tasty. You'll both satisfy the four of us nicely.”

“Roger, look at them all. Look at them smiling. My God, look at the fangs. You’re all vampires, aren’t you? Oh my God. Roger! God help us!”

“By all means pray if that comforts you. It won’t change anything, but feel free.”

“You’ll never get away with this. Daryl and Sarah will report us missing and you’ll be found out.”

“How trusting you both are. Who do you think sets this up for us each year? They arrange some necessary events for us now and then and we keep the town safe from outsiders. We also don’t feed in our own backyard, if you know what I mean.

“You see, Daryl and Sarah will dispose of your automobile and then offer your clothes and personal items for sale in their shop. Tourists come through now and then and they do quite well. During our Founders Day Celebration, our motel actually fills up.”

“This can’t be happening. Get away from Bel and me. Don’t come any closer. Stop! Please, pl…”

***

“Mornin’ darlin’ I believe the rain passed over us. It’s gonna be a warm and sunny day. Folks at the motel will be out shoppin’ too. Better get the stores open and ready for business. Founders Day sure brings in some good business, don’t it?”

“Sure does. I’ll put some coffee on first – maybe make some bacon and eggs too.”

“I sure could go for that. You know, ole gal, I’m sure gonna miss that Bel and Roger. They were a real nice couple. Sure nicer than them from last year.”

“They were real nice, but better them than us, sugar plum. Better them than us.”



2 comments:

  1. What a cute story. And I love your initial comment that you also like classical music.
    You did a good job of weaving in some backstory, and painted a nice picture of the little town and its inhabitants. I liked it even more on the second reading, I think, knowing what was coming and seeing how naive Rog and Bel were.
    A dialog only story was unusual for me at first, but I got used to it. Attribution can be a challenge without any 'he said/she said' but you pulled it off pretty well. I just wonder if a few single lines of text, here and there, would help the balance by inserting more of a pause.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comments, Mike. I'm glad you enjoyed this. It was fun to write. Not really a dark tale, but with a bit of a dark, but quirky, twist. I didn't originally plan on only dialogue, but it just went that way on its own. I appreciate your input about balancing out the pauses with a bit of text. I agree that would probably have made it flow just a bit smoother than the flat scene breaks I put in. Looking forward to Week 2's prompt!

    ReplyDelete