Thursday, April 25, 2019

Flash Contest Entry - Madam's Treasure

Following is a story I wrote for a contest. The prompt was to incorporate three phrases, and they were as follows:

1. "It is a beautiful and terrible thing, and should therefore be treated with great caution."
2. "He's never done anything like this before."
3. "What's it going to be then, eh?"

MADAM'S TREASURE

“I am Rudolfo, Madam’s Personal Assistant.”

“Name’s Johnny, The Agency sent me over about the gardener’s job.”

“You’ll be on a trial basis. If your work is satisfactory, you’ll become permanent. Your duties are to maintain the lawn and rose garden areas. Any questions are to be directed to me. Madam is not to be disturbed.”

“Grass looks dry. I’ll start with that.”

“Good man. FYI, at this time each day, I shall be occupied for one hour while I polish Madam’s treasure. Any difficulties you encounter will have to wait until that task is completed.”

“Treasure?”

“Yes, a gift from her late husband. She keeps it in a black velvet bag on her lap.”

“Is it safe to keep her treasure in the open like that?”

“She wants to keep it on her person at all times.”

“I understand. Well, you go on and I’ll get the hose.”

***

“She keeps her treasure in a bag on her lap.”

“What is it?”

“He didn’t say, but I’ll bet it’s jewelry, like a diamond necklace.”

“You want my help to steal it?”

“Yeah. You could break into Fort Knox, grab a million bucks, stroll out, and nobody would be the wiser.”

“I am that good. Where’s her room in the house?”

“She sleeps in her wheelchair in the drawing room downstairs.”

“And her butler?”

“In the guest house. Would your brother be our look-out?”

“He’s never done anything like this before.”

“He’d just have to watch out for Rudolfo.”

“So, we grab the bag and run?”

“Yep.”

“Sounds like the perfect plan.”

“What’s it going to be then, eh?”

“We’re in.”

***

“Rudolfo, is that you? What time is it?”

“It’s time to hand over your treasure, lady.” Johnny flipped the switch and lit up the drawing room. “What’s in that little black bag?”

“It is a beautiful and terrible thing, and should therefore be treated with great caution,” the old lady said, as she pulled the pistol from the bag and pointed it at the intruders. “It was my husband’s pride and joy. I keep it polished, and I keep it loaded.”

“We’ll just leave, okay, lady?”

As the three robbers turned toward the front door to make their escape, the old lady shot each of them in the back. She moved her wheelchair closer to the bodies, leaned down, and whispered “But, my dear departed husband always said I was the reckless one.”

Rudolfo was awakened by three gunshots. *Must be the new groundskeeper who seemed so interested in Madam’s treasure*, he thought, *and two acquaintances to assist him with the caper.*

“Rudolfo?” The urgency in the old lady’s tone was apparent.

“Madam, no worries. I shall remedy the situation.”

Rudolfo got up, dressed, put on his work gloves, and headed for the garage to retrieve a large shovel. *Johnny was an ineffective groundskeeper*, he thought, *but he could still be of benefit to Madam’s garden. Her roses have been looking a bit peaked lately…*







No comments:

Post a Comment